Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Video killed the radio star

Men, don't introduce your wives to video games...or they'll end up like me. I'm currently hopping arund like a puppy on crack waiting for my two favourite game sequels to come out. Jak III, and Ratchet & Clank 3-Up your Arsenal...both come out in the same month, November. Since I'll be bouncing off the walls when they hit the shelves, poor hubby will probably have to move the PS2 into the bedroom if he wants to continue watching his precious football games. I consider my fanatic obsession with these to be his penance for the season. I'll be busy punching buttons and playing like a freak on both games until I have completed them. Similar to when we borrowed Shawntay's Xbox so I could get my freak on with Morrowind...I don't think I slept the entire 2 weeks we had it in the home.
*sigh* poor Rick, he was so innocent about wanting me to play with him. I was terrified of the controller...I only played a few random computer games, but nothing so alien as an actual console. So he tried renting games he thought would peak my interest, but to no avail...then along came Final Fantasy X. I would sit curled in the chair next to him watching his characters flit across the screen, asking questions about what did what. Since he was cooking dinner at the same time, he'd frequently pause the game and go stir the pots and pans on the stove. He'd toss the controller onto my lap each time so the cats wouldn't scamper across it and restart the game. He was taking a particularly long time in the kitchen, and heard from the living room the telltale song of the game's continuation. I had begun to play *cue ominous music here*...
Since it was a rental, we only had a limited time with it, despite the complex nature of a game like FF. I'd completely taken over the game and the console within 24 hours, as Rick stared on in shock and awe. He ended up returning the game a day early, which I swear to this day was in retaliation for me taking over. So, I promptly threw a fit, walked out the door, and bought a brand new copy of it and the guide book.
So, three and a half years later, I'm now an avid 'gamer'. I don't just play anything that comes out, much to Rick's despair. I hate the sports sim games he plays. Not fond of 1st person shooters, either. My favourites to date:
Whiplash - smash the bunny, smash the BUNNY!
Ratchet & Clank (1 & 2) - I want a sarcastic robot with a helipack...can I have one?
Jak & Daxter (1 & 2) - 1 was okay, 2 rocked. Still don't know what the hell Daxter IS though...
Pacman World 2 - yeah, I'm lame, who cares.
Final Fantasy X (& X part 2) - okay, so the whole Charlie's Angels thing was stupid, it was a neato storyline, though.
Beyond Good & Evil - Easy as pie, but fun.
Despite having a Nightmare Before Christmas level, I thought Kingdom Hearts was rather lame. Well, that's what you get for it being made by Disney...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem really cool...I'm a fellow tattoed stay at home mama, and have enjoyed reading your blog for a little while now. I also live in Seattle! Woo hoo, small world!

Unknown said...

Hey you never told me you played FF!!! I'm an old school gamer though. Hopefully see ya at Mamafest.