Saturday, August 07, 2004

Little Boy Lost

Well, my little brother Saturday, after a four day visit. He's all of 15 now, a lot taller than me. Hard to call him little now. Hard to help him either.
He's taking the wrong path, and there's nothing I can really do about it now. I've tried, but he defies reality. His lying has almost become compulsory, which is frustrating for his parents, not just myself and Rick. You can never get the real story out of him. After realizing how much he's mislead you, it makes you seriously want to beat your head against a wall. And his. But mom is so damn lax with him, he gets away with so much. And she wonders what happened?! I would NEVER have gotten away with half the shit he does, hence I turned out okay, with a clear understanding of right and wrong, and respect for myself and the world around me. Adam's got this scary feeling of 'entitlement' that is just appalling. But if I ever say "hey mom, don't be so loose with him, you weren't with me" suddenly the guilt trips begin and I have to deal with her crying "oh, I was such a HORRIBLE PARENT to you....boohoo, you hate me, gahhhhhhhhhh". *I return to thumping head against the wall*
Some people refer to Adam as the Sharona Mini-me. Whatever, so yeah, he wears black clothes, listens to industrial music, reads Kafka, and became a vegetarian at a young age. That would be where the similarity ends. I was reading Kafka when I was 8, if that enlightens you at all as to how warped this little girl be. I was also borderline obsessive when it came to schooling (who graduated at 15? yuppers, lil' miss doogie howser, with nothing to show for it now). I don't even think Adam wants to go to college. He has grandious plans of going to live in Either Amsterdam or The Czech Republic. To do what, I have no clue, because work ethic is an alien concept to him. His school work is suffering, and he's wandering the lovely path of drug use. I've tried my schpiel, but I guess someone who's never done drugs just can't seem very convincing. And then he lied about it to my face, so I guess it doesn't matter much anyways.
But I can't hate the little shit. He lies, he disrespects the parents, he gets all lazy, but then I see him shine for breif moments and like a goddamn halmark card I have hope again. He's wonderful with my son. I can leave him with Anthony for a few hours (Wed I had a dentist appointment, Adam babysat), and have no worries. And in return, monkey squeals and giggles everytime he sees Adam. So he ate a path through our refridgerator, I say fuggit. At fifteen there is no need for a boy to worry about his weight. He has broad shoulders, and is average build. Anyone says he is chubby I'll put a foot in their ass. I got really upset with Rick while Adam was up, and had to leave the room so kiddo wouldn't see me fight tears. He came into the room and just gave me a hug and told me he wanted to take me to go rent some movies. He spent the last 8 bucks he had of spending money renting hollywood videos to cheer up his big sister.

No comments: