Wednesday, August 11, 2004

thank you, thweet jethuth

As most in my immediate circle know, I was eagerly anticipating today's dentist appointment. I got my new front teeth today *insert applause here*. Last week they took this funky mold of my entire mouth, and some tooth obsessed 'sculpter' sat in a cave somewhere and crafted a retainer like device that contains two teeth where I am missing them. I gotta wonder how they figure out what those teeth should look like. It's magic, I tell ya.
Anyways, today, they pulled out the contration and deftly shoved it into my mouth (get your thoughts out of the gutters, please). With a little 'PING!' of the wire in back, they wrestled it around to a "comfortable" fit, and finally allowed me to see the results in a mirror. It's creepy, honestly, if you didn't know about the little thing, you would not know by looking at me that my smile now contains two imposters. It's so natural it's...well, not noticable. Kinda lackluster event really. She still has to fix my filling on the tooth between the two fakes, but other than that, I've got a complete, unscathed set of teeth in front.
It's so fucked when you realize how desperately you want to look normal, that when you do, you feel stupid for having that need, because normal is...well, normal.
Anyways, the downfall of my little plastic friend is that I have a heinous lisp right now, until I adjust to talking with it in. She said it's just like getting used to a toungue bar, so I should have the thillyneth under control in a day or two. Dad said I sounded a lot better after a few hours of babbling.
I asked Rick tonight if I was finally pretty now. He said I always was (good answer). I didn't feel like I was, but it's nice to know someone still did. Which is stupid when you realize how insignificant a tooth can be. A tooth on me that is less than the size of my pinky nail. But at least now I can smile and not be embarrassed. I plan on booking some portraits with Anthony next week. We'll both be grinning.

1 comment:

fleshbasket said...

copies for dom. copies for dom. copies for dom.... dommy want pictures of the little dumpling... and the kid too. heh. glad you're keeping up, i've been checking your blog lots. if you need a "silencer" i.e. another dago around to quell the noise, gimme a holler. broken toes usually does it, but if they're uppity, go for the knees...
smootches.