Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Guilty Mind is a Terrible Thing...

well, too damn bad. Obviously, Rick is realizing the error of his ways after his dumbass coment that rendered me as frigid as the Arctic for the past few days. All that free time of ignoring him gave me ample opportunity to catch up on the fun over at teh foodnetwork message boards. He knows that when I start printing out recipes for a plethora of cuisines I normally don't cook, he screwed up in a major fashion.
Of course, he won't come out and say "I'm sorry, I should have had my tongue ripped out for that assinine remark," but he will sulk around and act a little more nice. He let me decide what was for dinner last night (though I DID have to go out and actually purchase it after I had already been out most of the evening at a meeting). Also, since I had a package off of ebay to mail today, he said he would leave me the card, so I could "Go get a mocha or something as a treat". I think my jaw hit the floor on that comment. He never lets me go treat myelf anything, as we all know how iron-clad his grip is on the finances. I tried to take his temperature, thought he might be coming down with a case of consideration.
Now, let's remember something, though, living with him for the last four years has made me toughen up a bit. My confidence does take a walloping nose dive on occassion, but this whole incident has NOT made me crawl into a closet and hide my hideous self. On the contrary, I know I look good, and I know that knowing this makes him get all weird (happened when I was stripping, so I'm familiar with the routine). Anytime my self esteem gets into balance, he starts being a little meaner and nitpickier (I'm not a good cook, horrible housekeeper, don't understand basic electronics, have never read a parenting book...yadah yadah bullshitty yadah). So, I take the majority of his digs with a grain of salt. Do I actually stand up to him? Yes, although I pick my battles, and usually bring it up at a later time. If I confronted him on every occassion a thoughtless comment flew out of his mouth I'd have been divorced a long time ago.
People say compromise is the key to a good marriage, or understanding. Nope, it's the ability to count to three, hold your tongue, and have an available outlet to vent.

1 comment:

darth sardonic said...

good for you mother hoodlum. take care. check out my latest and see if you can guess the band.
darth