Friday, August 20, 2004

Care to lose a finger?

I am irritated.
gee, Sharona, what's new?
No seriously, I am P.O.d. Like, uncontrollably scratching off my skin peeved.
I went to Goodwill so I could browse the housewares section for some nifty items (hey, Tuesdays are Manager's Special days, yo!), and I was meandering down the aisles with my stroller. I was minding my own business, humming along to the eighties station they were playing on the overhead (gotta love the Thompson twins, baby). Anyhoo, so as I peruse the goods, this blonde Bellevue Bitch approaches...
Narrative explanation: for those who aren't dwellers of our fair town, Bellevue is Seattle's bastard stepsister, just across Lake Washington on one of the two horrendously over trafficked bridges. This suburbian hell has become like the Emerald fucking City to Snobs and Soccer Moms. Put it this way, while a Seattle resident will order a coffee black and quietly nods to the latest punk band at the Graceland, the Bellevue pissant will order a "double nonfat Latte with soy milk and no foam, half caf, teehee!", while practicing their golf clap at the John Tesh concert at Green River Amphitheater. They drive insanely large SUVs to haul their five boys (all with names starting with the letter J, ain't it cute?) to the next soccer/softball practice so they can sit in their coffee clatch on the bleachers and bitch about the new girl with a nose ring working counter at Starbucks. God, I hate these people.
So anyways, Miss Prissypants saunters up to me and reaches over and toussles Anthony's hair (and I friggin hate people touching my kid without my permission like he's a damn dog). She looks up at me and is obviously giving me her five second judgement.
Narrative input again: It's ninety fucking degrees outside, so I am dressed comfortably. clingy and comfy white cotton tank top (which while showcasing my tats, covers everything else nicely), capri'd cargo pants in combat green with a heavily grommetted black belt, and my super comfy big black flip flops.
After her bound-to-be-incorrect-assessment of me, she chirps "Aw, did mommy play hookie today to play with you?"
Ugh...yeah lady, I'm so irresponsible that I'd shirk work duties to drag my kid out to thrift stores.
"Well, every day is hookie day for Mommy," I replied.
Uh-oh, here it comes...yup, the critical pursing of the lips...
"Ooooooooh, you don't work," she said.
I raised the ol' eyebrow (and those who know me know this is NOT a good thing), and corrected her. "I'm a full time mother."
Before this noisy twat could add any further inane comments, I pushed my stroller away and continued over to the children's section to let the steam leak out of my ears.
Why do these holier than thou bitches think that a 30 something woman staying at home is justifiable, but a 20 something is cause for disdain? I'm not on public assistance, no food stamps or welfare. My husband works, and I stay at home to take care of our son, rather than putting him in expensive as hell daycare where it's a crap shoot that he'll even get a decent caretaker. Plus, since he has an eating disorder, he needs a huge amount of help and attentiveness while he's munching, which I highly doubt any daycare worker could provide with five to seven other toddlers running around.
People annoy me. I stay at home and I am a damn good mother for it. Not anything against working moms, I applaud them to. It takes a lot to be able to work a full time job and come home and be a mom. There's no 'part-time' about being a parent. But this was my decision, and I am proud of making it. And if I have the ability to do so, who's to fucking judge me? Go suck an egg.
Hey, bitch, guess what? That little pierced girl at Starbucks you are nagging about? She's a single mom in my playgroup. And I'm teaching her how to place a huge loogie at the very top of your latte that will float right before your repugnantly upturned nose. And since more and more of us "Alternative People" are reaching appropriate breeding age, we're soon going to outnumber you on the PTA boards and playgrounds across this great city. Have a nice day!

No comments: