Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Geek Love

Few know mama is a closet geek. Well, back 'in the day', when about half my relationships were with various techydweebs and hackers, folks knew my affinity. But as of late I've kept it pretty subdued, only geeking out on video games and the occassional bit of useful technology. But hey, once a geek, always a geek.
I watch G4 about as much as I do the food channel, although frankly it seems the programming as of late has become a bit repetitive and trite. *sigh* If only I had seen TechTv in it's heydey. Se la Vie. But I could appease my geekatude with shows like Attack of the Show and X-Play (Adam is the funniest man in existence). The banter on those reminds me of the antics between me and Shawntay.
Well, my object de lust, Kevin Rose, has finally decided to leave the network, not much to anyone's surprise. He was an original TechTV host, on the Screen Savers, which got as gearheady as any hardcore circuitphile could possibly desire. But watching him on AOTS, once can see that he's frustratingly had to dumb down his segments to reach the 'common denominator' type that the network is trying to capture. I suppose it's like having a PHd in Literature and having to draw Shakespeare cartoons for rednecks.
But for electrical hazard loving folks and other dweebs, KR isn't ditching you/me out in the unknown dessert of wanderlust. He (and former TTV co-horts) are blessing all our geeky visions with a new downloadable show called Systm. It's funny, and the first episode will have you going "Oh crap, they actually did that..." Get yourself some Bittorrent software (www.bittorrent.com), and wander over to systm.org and grab yourself some goodness. Apparently, for those not 'in the know', bittorrenting is about to become the new podcast, so jump on the bandwagon now before some asshole decides it's illiegal. And watch the show, of course, scratching your head as to why mama has such an affinity to the quiet yet geeky ones. I dunno, I just do.

2 comments:

Rick D said...

Actually, Bit Torrent has been around longer than Podcasts have. ;)

Mother Hoodlum said...

That they have, but their surge in popularity has only been a rather recent thing.
Nice to see I got someone's attention though! ;)