Thursday, July 29, 2004

Job Market Hell

Well, I don't really need to go back to work, but there's been some financial strain in the Spangler household that has caused me to seriously consider getting an evening job.
1.) Rick and I fight all the time about finances, particularly about his stronghold on our money, refusing to let me spend a dime, or have a voice in our money (groceries even!).
2.) We are in desperate need of some major household purchases:
New computer (ours is a dinosaur gasping on lifesupport),
New couch (not only is ours broken in several places, but the cats have peed all over one side of it),
Bed for Anthony (outgrowing the crib),
Entertainment center (our current one is soooooooo not childproof),
Display shelves for the collections (to hang above Anthony's reach to protect them)
New Car Seat (Anthony's outgrowing the infant seat quickly)
Car Repairs (Because the fuckwad who hit us hasn't paid on the judgement)
3.) I'd like my own spending money, particularly come holiday season. Honey, I'd love to buy you a gift, so give me your credit card...well, now that just don't fly, now does it?
So, anyways, I went to interview at this legal copy center, one that I had applied for a long time ago and had gotten an offer, but wasn't in a position to accept at the time. Since that first interview had gone so well (I was insanely over qualified for the job, but I didn't mind, the work environment seemed nice), I figured this would be a slam dunk. Well, the guy that interviewed me was a raging ASSHOLE. He kept saying I didn't know anything, no matter how many times I spelled out my extensive experience. I could fucking MANAGE that place, and he's telling me I'd have to have a trial run to 'see if I can figure out a copy machine'?!?!?!?! I could take almost any copier apart and put it back together faster than most techs, but this twit says it'll take me 3 months to 'get the hang of using one'. Then, if I was lucky, I could be moved 'upstairs with the boys to learn scanning'. Learn Scanning?! I did prepress, typesetting, and graphic design for YEARS. He kept saying my experience was just like 'the kids who come in with a few months at kinko's...' what the fuck ever. That's like telling someone who studied Culinary Arts at the Courden Bleu (sp?) in Paris that they might as well have worked the register at McDonalds...I may sound cocky, but damnit, I have a right to be. I graduated top of my class at only 18 years old...from COLLEGE. I was successfully handling the marketing & design for a major company here in Seattle by age 20. I worked with some of the best press operators on the West Coast learning the gears. Kiss my ass I don't have experience! It took every bone in my body from going seriously Italian on this fuck's behind.
Now, I knew that re-entering the job market would be tough, especially after a two year absence, not to mention my time being a stripper in between 'real jobs'. I am totally cool with working at a retail job or something, couldn't give a fuck if I was only scrapping in $8 an hour, but I will NOT work for some arrogant sexist shithead who is going to treat me like a moron. As vehemenantly anti-Kinko's as I am, I would prefer to work for that printing chop shop than deal with that bullshit.
Luckily, when Rick heard about the nightmare I had to deal with, he said we'll seriously re-evaluate the need for me returning to work. Thank GOD he's finally becoming understanding!

No comments: