Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Railway Rudedness

Well, any reader by now would realize that everytime I am forced to deal with people in the public, I get aggrevated. Getting my ass onto an Amtrak with Anthony to get to Oregon was no exception. Come, walk with me as I rant on yet again stupid stupid people I must encounter!
I had to get poor Anthony (and my own ridiculously tired self) up at the crack ass o' dawn to catch my train down to Portland. My train was to depart at 7:30 AM, so needless to say, on only one cup of coffee, I was a wee cranky. I've trained it with him before, and it was a complete disaster. The previous time I had mistakenly told the ticketing agent I was traveling with an infant, so she simply booked one fare and instructed me that I could just hold him on my lap, and thus not have to pay. Sounds simple? You try holding a squirming baby on your lap for four friggin hours, with no way to juggle him if you need to stretch your thighs. So this time I was smart, and booked a seperate child's ticket. The gal said I could just wheel him in my stroller up to the train, and have him ride in his carseat next to me. YES! This sounds like it could work.
So, me and my big ass stroller, laden with luggage and baby, and a carseat awkwardly balanced on top, make our way to the counter to retrieve our prepaid tickets. The obviously oh-so-cheerful ticketing agent gives me the up and down (which I noticed, and totally HATE when people do that!). She informs me that my stroller is too big, and must be checked prior to boarding. I kind of stare blankly at her, and ask how she proposes I manage all this crap onto the train without a wheeled device. She shrugs, and points me over to the baggage claim. A mild ire begins to stir within me.
So I go over to the baggage area, and ask if they have a cart I can load my stuff onto so I may get myself to the seating assignment booth, and then the train. The tard behind the counter looks at my load, and then utters the phrase "GO find one in the terminal". Well, thank you Captain Courtesy! Luckily a fellow passenger sees my mounting frustration and scampers off to retrieve one for me. I thank her profusely (I am betting shes a mom). So I begin to load all my stuff onto this little trolley thingie, and then the Utter Bitch From Baggage Hell approaches me. As she rudely stands there without helping, she informs me amidst my shuffle that I am not allowed my carseat. HUH?! How the fuck am I suppose to get my kid to ride the train? I asked without the explitive, although added a few later. She tells me my kid is supposed to ride on my lap (adding an irritated look like I am an idiot). I explain that, No, I paid for an extra seat for him. She looks at me and says "That's not my problem." Okay, top officially boiling over on this little teakettle. I snap "It's going to be!" And I snatch my carseat out of her talons and storm over to the seating agent, pushing my cart and hauling poor Anthony away. When I get up to the counter, I see it's the conductor handing out seating assignments. Oh, goodie, someone I can officially yell at. Gritting my teeth, I explain the Baggage Bitch's comments, and demand an explanation. Luckily, the conductor realized he was in danger of being quickly torn a new orrifice by a rather irate momma, and quickly apologized for her "error". He said he had no problem with my carseat, and would happily arrange to have someone help me onto the train if needed. He even gave me one of those nice roomy seats in the back of the car.
See folks, I have an attitude for a reason, it gets shit done. And for the record, Anthony was a complete angel on the train ride, cheerfully saying "HI!" to a few fellow riders, quietly chewing on his board book, and being the picture of content. Yeah, I was surprised, too!

1 comment:

darth sardonic said...

you're not a dick friend. just busy. believe me, got some of that going on here. look at me, i'm leaving this dumb comment as opposed to writing an email or making a phone call!!

it's all cool,

darth sardonic