Saturday, January 08, 2005

Curious looking into the past

It's amazing when you pack up your entire universe into boxes, when you unpack them, you see pieces of your life you don't really remember. When I was a teenager, I hated writing in diaries, so I kept little bound journals of poetry (I know, how goth of me). Amusing myself, I picked one out of the box and was flipping through it, bewildered as to my younger take on life. I suppose I was as bitter then as I am now, only now it's just a bit less rough around the edges.
So, since a New Year often creates reflections on those past, I thought I'd share one of them, as perhaps it can sit with you as it has with me.

It's one of those days
When you feel like crying
Or Laughing
Or just sitting down
And eating peanut butter
With a cigarette
Poked between your fingers.

I want no part of this
Emotional Tunnel train
So just let me off at the next stop
I'll just put my head on
My knees and listen to Led Zepplin
On my headphones and wish you away.

REALITY CHECKS IN

No cheap drugstore
5 penny romance novel kisses...
No powerful man exactly five inches
Taller than you and holding you just so.
Noises bang, things drop
And there's always an uncomfortable
Hight difference.

I'm honestly not sure when I wrote this or why. The poetry later in the book dates 95-96, so I was still in high school, although I know I didn't start smoking until my sophmore year. I also know I never once listened to Led Zepplin, so that line confounded me. So, I was approximately 14 or 15 when I wrote this and it perplexes me as to what I am attempting to possibly relate in this prose. At least even back then I had a particular grip on the realities of life, although still expressing the appropriate teenage angst.
In yet another bound book that was quite tattered with age I found perhaps the most poignent piece of all, and I scared myself at it's accuracy...
The faults you find in yourself you shall seek to hate in all your enemies.
After all these years and people who've angered me, above all other things, that which irritates me the most is still hypocrisy.

No comments: