Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Where'd Momma go?

Well, I've been busy! Between getting the move together, dealing with both Anthony and I being sick, and life in general, I've had little time to play around on the net. What time I do spend on here is usually looking up stuff on ebay and HGTV. Although the house is great,it's still a fixer-upper, so there's a lot we'll need to do to make it a really nice home. Plus, the moving days are actually right on Thanksgiving week, so we've been coordinating with the family on how to still have a mangeable holiday in the midst of our boxed hell. Turkey, stuffing, and packing tape, wohoo! I've got a lot of house projects in the making to get some really cool creative flair going.

Decoupage stuff: I've already got the funky shelf thing I was working on halfway done. It was originally a drawer to a cabinet, which I turned upright, painted, and added some nifty old school religious clippings onto (quasi-catholic coolness), the sides of the box have a covering of book pages from an old german printed book I had found. I'm going to hang it with some black satin ribbon, and add hooks to the bottom of it to display the rosary collection.
keeping with the renaisance religious theme, I've got that old bookshelf in Anthony's room that's really getting spruced up. I'm using the remaining book pages on the sides, and inside I'm using a 'bible images' calander. I'll post pics when I am done, the whole set should look sweet.
Both of these will go into the entry way.

Found object fun: The half bath near the den needs some SERIOUS help, it's hideous and small to boot. Since hand towels are all that's needed, I'm picking up some super cool old door knockers and using them as hand towel hangers. I also found a nifty old wrought iron heating grate at the salvage shop that I am turning into the front of a magazine rack for the bathroom as well. I have two celtic garden plaques that I'll probably stick in there for some visual interest.
I also need a coat rack for the entry way, so I'll probably go back to the salvage shop for a plank and some interesting coat hooks (or old doorknobs).

Granny get yer glue gun: That corner piece to our old sectional still has life in it, so I am going to slipcover the thing and place that in the entry way as a shair to take off our shoes. Since the whole house has that so easy to stain ligt tan carpeting, I'm probably going to do the no shoes in the house rule.

Other craft madness: I am making new light shades for the kitchen, because the current ones are godawful seventies throwbacks, and I'm refinishing my dressing chair for the bedroom. Since I'm not sure about what paint schemes I am going to use in certain areas, I may put fabric on the walls temporarily until I figure out what we're doing with everything. Since my Dad is giving us all his woodworking tools for the new workshop, we'll probably just make most of the new furniture we need, like bookshelfs and stuff.

Okay, so there's my update, and the excuse for not updating this blog as often as I probably should.

No comments: