Friday, July 01, 2005

Flags & Freedoms

Recently, someone commented on my blog, but this time it wasn't a pissed off snarky comment, nor was it from anyone I know (I think). I won't re-post this person's entire writ, if you'd like to see it flip back to the entry titled "Country Full of Idiots" in the November '04 archive.
Basically, it's discussing the right to burn our flag that is currently up for debate in the senate. For those out of the loop, the House once again cleared a constitutional ammendment to outlaw the burning of the US flag. It's not illegal yet though, as it still has to make it's way through the senate, where it currently flounders, as the exact number it takes to defeat the measure (34 in total) is the exact number of senators who've spoken openly against it. So, for now, you can still celebrate the 4th of July in this perverse manner.
Uh-oh...did I just hint that I agree with the republicans on this one? Well, now, no, not exactly. I feel that flag burning itself is pretty stupid. It says, to me at least, that you hate the entire country, what it stands for, the freedoms of it, the people who serve it, and perhaps desperately wish for true Anarchy to be instated. Well, if this is really how you feel, than by all means, LEAVE. I'm serious. In all honesty, I don't hate this country, just most of the people who live here (particularly those in the red states). I don't hate what it stands for at all, or at least, what it was originally intended to stand for by our forefathers. We were supposed to be an Isle of Freedom, non-persecution, and true Liberty. I absolutely cherish the freedoms we are supposed to have, among which would actually entail burning the flag in protest. As I've stated umpteen times, I strongly support our troops. I deeply respect what they chose to do, I just feel that the current government is dishonouring that choice by sending them on an increasingly failing mission. I don't, however, feel that anarchy is the answer to anything, what I do feel is that the current farse of democracy we are using is a joke and needs a serious revamp.
So, here's my deal. Burning the flag means you've given up all hope on this country. If you have, then burn away, but burn as you leave. Those of us who do care don't have time for your apathy. Those who gave up are the same assholes who didn't vote. So, bye bye. Now, for those of you who are saying, "Well, now wait, I still want to leave here, I just don't like what's going on, and this is my way of venting my frustration." Well, let me tell you, there's a better way. Your frustration comes from the fact that you do still like living here, right? Then, as I've said time and time again CHANGE THINGS! Get Fucking Involved. Don't just rant and rail and burn because you have pent up animosity. Write a fucking letter, sign or start a fucking petition. Find a group that shares your belief, and help them raise money for lobbyists. Do SOMETHING!
To date, we still have the freedoms to speak out against what our so called national leaders are doing. That is the real freedom. And, as a democracy, those leaders are still supposed to listen. And guess what? Some still do! As long as we still have certain liberties, we have the power to keep them. Our voices still, at the moment, can be heard. But if you aren't talking, then what's the point?
So, in short, yes, mama will be celebrating the fourth of july. I'll have my BBQ, my fireworks, and most importantly, my flag (unsinged). Why? Because this is still OUR country. So, let freedom ring.

1 comment:

darth sardonic said...

amen sister, well-spoke. i also love this country, primarily the fact that we have the right to be disgruntled, and can verbally (and now on the world-wide web, electronically), voice our displeasure with the leadership or whatever else.

darth sardonic