Sunday, June 18, 2006

Management Mama

So, as you all know I was a happily little Assistant Manager at my beloved Radioshack. Things were going swimmingly, working hand in hand with my bossboy, Jason, and soaking up the neccessary tools I needed like a little growing sponge. He was probably the BEST possible person I could hope to train under, being an operational guru and a joy to work for. He runs that store a tight little ship, and it shows in it's performance.
So, we knew that our partnership would eventually peril at the hands of promotion, but also saw it as being a ways off. After all, assistant managers typically spend a year training, then become "waiting store managers", sitting patiently in a little que for a store to open. Once one does open up, the "powers that be" interview all of the waiters and chose the best one for that store. Well, we saw that my title had changed to a "waiter" pretty fast, but assumed it was due to restructuring. After all, there was still a pretty long que...
Then the interviews came. Seeing them on my schedule, my name clearly among them, scared the wizz out of us. ALREADY? But there's no stores open?!!
"relax, you guys, we're just getting the interviews done on the new crop now so that we can evaluate where they are at in training. This is just procedural" is the soothing answer we were given. A tentative calmness.
So, I go shakingly into my interview. Well, no, scratch that, I sauntered in there and nailed it. I'm not afraid to admit my confidence in my abilities. I was trained by the best, and have a drive that can burn me a trail of successs through sheer willpower. I nailed it. The 'powers' seemed pleased, and even gave me some great feedback to improve upon, which I eagerly stuffed into my pocket and made an internal vow to add to my work.
The very next day a handful of us were off for 'ridealongs' with the District Manager. We got to evaluate several stores, critiquing and adding our input as to what could be improved upon.
Procedural.
Sure.
So, happy with my good interview, feeling reinspired by the ridealongs, I mosey casually into my store on Friday. I greet my boys, and go plunk into the desk for a bit since I am my usual early self and want to catch up on Jason's memos. He was out on Friday, his lovely wife was having a surgical procedure done.
In walks one of my boys, holding the phone.
It was the DM.
"Well, Sharona, you had a really great interview there on Wednesday"
"Thank you, boss!"
"So, we're going to give you a promotion. You will be running the Bothell store. You'll be starting tomorrow, so go ahead and call the current manager to arrange getting her keys. She's getting moved to another store."
THUD.
My head was reeling. I sort of sat there shaking like a leaf after I hung up. Sudden was an understatement. Christ, Jason didn't even know.
I quickly re-arranged the store's schedule to accomodate my lack of presence. I calmly did the closing paperwork Jason needed.
I then had myself a little panic attack.
The next day was surreal, to say the least. I still have to get used to the idea of saying "my store".
But it's mine. I worked my ass off, went through hell in my personal life, but let it drive me to success. And I'm there.
I DID IT.

No comments: