Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Day gone wrong

As a working mother, a sense of routine is vital. If I don't have a set plan for the day, things can fall quickly to shit before I have time to right it. As I work nights, and Rick works days, all of the household woes fall onto my shoulders, as I am the one home for a few hours in the daytime to deal with them. Let's take a peak into last Monday and see just what can go wrong with a life...
9AM wake up to Anthony on the monitor saying "mommmmmmmma....momma? HI! mumumumumumumuma.."
10AM after a bottle for him and a cup of coffee for me, we've already read every book on his shelf in the living room (this is done by him randomly grabbing one, scampering over to me on the couch, scootching up onto my lap giggling hysterically, and holding it up. He'll turn each page, sometimes babbling along with the words he knows, then immediately wriggling down, grabbing the next, and so on and so on). I usually attempt breakfast at this point.
11AM get our butts ready for teh day. Iron my work clothes, wrestle him into warmer clothes for the commute, do my hair and makeup, etc. This process never used to take an hour, but now it's usually dotted with peeling him off the sofa, or chasing him with one sock and a jacket.
12pm toss lil one in the stroller, grab my bag, and trot up to bus stop number 1. Bus arrives, pull him out of stroller, fold it up, juggle child, stroller, and bag while climbing onto the bus with my buspass in my mouth. Find a seat.
12:15 get off at stop number 2, wait fifteen minutes, repeat juggling act.
12:45 arrive in downtown edmonds, wrestle baby back into stroller. trot up to babysitters...
NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING...
normally, I drop him off, grab coffee, climb onto third bus of the day and head up to work. I'll do my thing until 9, ride the bus or weasel a ride from a coworker, and that's my day. but...
12:52 realize babysitter is AWOL. No answer at the door, no answer on the phone. Attempt not to panic, trot back up the street to my coffee shop and grab a cup, patiently waiting for her to arrive from the great beyond she has seemingly disappeared into. Call and leave a message for her to call when she walks in the door so I am not late for work.
1:12 realize I have now missed the bus to work, still no babysitter. Call work, let them know I may be a bit late, still hoping babysitter just got hung up on an errand.
1:38 about to miss second bus. Anthony is now cranky, tired, and hungry, not to mention emitting the dreadful smell of a soiled diaper. Call Rick, ask if still missing babysitter said anything ominous on Friday when he picked wee one up.
"Oh, well she asked if you were going to call over the weekend with your schedule"
"...and you were going to pass on this message...when?"
"well, since it never changes, she should've assumed you'd be there on Monday at 1"
"Nice theory."
At this point, I give up on having a responsible and thoughtful babysitter that could've possibly surmised my schedule hadn't changed, and drag little one back on the two busses back home. I inform Rick he needs to scurry home ASAP, as I am now late for work, and need to await his arrival at the homestead so that I may get back to my store sans lil one. Call boss and woefully explain situation. Praise heavens that he is an understanding lad.
2:30 arrive home to discover electricity has been shut off due to nonpayment of bill. My house is frigid because the thermostat runs on electricity, and my son has a hacking cough from being out in the cold this whole time. Rick doesn't answer his phone.
Frantically call mom, beg her to pay the bill and the emergency turn on fee (or risk going without heat overnight). Realize I have no way of paying her back. Yay for racking up yet another debt with my family. Patiently await the power guy to show up and flip the switch, attempt putting a very cranky son down for a nap, and hope that Rick gets home in a timely fashion so that I don't miss too much work.
7:00pm Rick decides to actually come home, scurry me to work so that I may close the store and face the possible wrath of my boss for being 5 goddamn hours late.
9:00pm close up shop, walk to bus, with little black rainclouds dancing over my head.
9:48 take bus home, walk up from stop to my house. Check voicemail and get snippy response from babysitter to all my frantic calls from earlier. As she didn't hear from me over the weekend, she assumed I wasn't dropping Anthony off, so decided to have herself a day out, without actually calling to check and see if I maybe was too damn busy to call (or wasn't told by extremely negligent hubster).
Realize I now need to find alternative daycare, which will probably cost almost more than I make per hour. Fume at husband for not paying bills he swore were taken care of.
Fume at husband for not telling me the truth about what his new job's work schedule actually is.
Fume at world for seemingly throwing every obstacle possible into the life of a working mother.

No comments: