Friday, January 20, 2006

Momma vs. Dadda vs. work

I'm having an interesting mental twister. To update my darling readers on my life, I have been doing well at le' Shack, and enjoying every minute of working there. Apparently I am good at this, because I was actually graced with the promotion of MIT (Manager in Training). Now, in the world of the Shack, this is the first step above just a carefree Sales Associate. MIT means that I am willing to put forth the effort into training and fully intend to become a manager and take on the responsibility and woes of running my own store. After I go through a bit of a crash course in standard operations, I get to be bumped up to the next rung of the ladder known as an Assistant Manager. This basically means a lacky to a manager, and being in charge when the manager needs some desperate downtime. After following in a manager's footsteps for a year, learning all one can, then one sort of enters this little holding pattern of waiting for a store to open up and be handed to them. Even taking the first step up the ladder means a lot, because it brings this up from being just a "job" to an actual occupation, or dare I say, actual career.
So, here's the twister that I am facing, and the reason for titling this post so cryptically...as I am in the middle of facing an actual "career", I am now thinking a lot about how this will affect my son. I already know that this means of course, spending less time with him. But that's what going full time meant. But with the added responsibilities also comes less control over my own schedule, because now it's not about what's more convenient for me, but what's necessary for my store. It also means that I could eventually be putting myself in a position where I may be forced to make the painful decision of work vs. family. In fact, I feel like I am already straddling that line, being that I've put Anthony in childcare so that I may work a more fulltime schedule. Taking a fulltime job, with the added responsibilities of undermanagement, means that I am now obligated to more than just my son. It means pissing people off should I have to stay home with a sick child. It means having to schedule time off for birthdays and the eventual "events" that surround a child's life, and knowing there's always a possibility I may have to miss something (or risk losing said employment, or responsibilities).
There's this internal battle, plus the inner questioning of why men don't seem to have to worry about these issues. You see, my husband is currently looking for new employment, as he pretty much despises the company he currently works for. But his deciding factors of a new work are only based on his job preferrence and income needs. He doesn't have to worry about scheduling conflicts with a babysitter, or time off availability. There is no "work vs. family" choice for him, or it seems for most men (I have a dear friend who is a VERY rare exception to this, so Darth, I am not talking about you when I refer to "most men", nor do I refer to the single fathers out there who are making it work all around).
A perfect example of this odd imbalance would be yesterday...I had to attend my first management training meeting, which was further away than my own conveniently located store. The meeting was to be from 9AM to 6pm, then I had to rush over to my store and close. I also had to close the store the previous night, which meant not getting home until 10. I had asked Rick to drive us yesterday, so that we could get Anthony to his sitter, and me to my meeting in a timely fashion. I understood that this meant Rick going in an hour later than usual. But considering how convuluted the bus system is, it was better than waking Anthony up at about 5AM to drag him through the cold to navigate the bus routes. I figured it was a decent compromise leaving at 7:30, as Rick wouldn't be overly late, but I would get us taken care of, and would only be stuck at a starbucks near the meeting space for about an hour. Well, of course Rick forgot all about it (despite our discussions every night prior), so when it came time the night before that I was dragging myself into the house at 10, I discovered that Rick had neglected to inform his work, and refused to go in late for us the next day. So now I am left with having to call a cab, which costs frankly more than we can spare at the moment. He shambled off to bed, while I called the cab to set a pickup time, and then scrambled around the house packing up Anthony's necessities for the next day. I dragged myself out of bed at 6, made coffee, packed up the playpen, and hustled us off in the cab when it came time. I went to my meeting, stressed my way through it, scurried back to my own store, closed, and shlomped through the rain at 10pm that night. When I came in, both were asleep, so I snuck into Anthony's room to stare at my sleeping wee one, realizing that I had only seen him for the ten minute ride in the cab that morning. I suddenly start having the feeling I am really a terrible mother.
Every day that I drop him at a babysitter, I feel this. Every time I consider moving up at my workplace, I think of how he is affected first and foremost. It seems to me that most men never have to have these feelings. Perhaps it's because as the "main provider" there is no choice that comes into it, it's work to survive, and that's it. But as a working mother, I often have feelings of resentment that it seems I am the only one that IS considering our son. I am the sole carrier of the burdens of childraising decisions, he just gets to go to work and come home, and complain about the house being unkept. If something slips under his radar about Anthony, it's my fault for not reminding him.
Sorry to vent the frustrations, folks. I hate getting my whine on in these blogs. If you are a working parent, I hope maybe you can relate to the special hell that is this very situation.

3 comments:

Rick D said...

Well, we haven't chatted in a while, but I have to comment on this. Though I know you were just venting for the most part.

I was a stay-at-home Dad for a while and I felt the same when I had to go back to work. We're now having another baby and my wife is going to have to go back to work even sooner. Our son always had someone at home, our daughter never will (it looks like).

I think you've gotten the great opportunity to stay at home with your son so you're not used to having to leave him. Rick never had that experience so he has no concept of that. Some men get it. I've seen plenty of fathers not take a promotion or take a different job because they wanted to actually be able to see their kids grow up.

As far as your promotion, there will come a point that Andrew is in school a lot more and you'll be left in the lurch and wondering what to do with yourself. You're MIT right now, that doesn't mean you're a manager and you have a ways to go yet before you are. So just ride it out.

Being part of something is good for you, it gives you the outlet you need to be productive and feel like you're contributing to the bottom line. You're not a bad mother, you're a mother who's trying to give her kid as many opportunities as possible. As long as you keep thinking along the lines you are now, that will keep you in check.

Mother Hoodlum said...

um, thanks, although I have no clue as to who you are. My son's name is Anthony, btw.
Thank you for your comment, I was actually really hoping to get a male perspective on this one. I guess because I am only seeing a very narrow section of 'daddy's', I tend to get a very harsh view of them.
Perhaps I was a bit vague, but the promotion problem I spoke of is actually slated to happen within the next month or two. Between MIT and Manager is the interim period of Assistant Manager, which I am tapped to become quite immediately. There is a shortage in my district of AMs (9 in the district of 26 stores). As there was one already shifted into my store, it means that I will more than likely be transfered. This means for me a MUCH longer commute, and possibly not having as flexible a schedule as I have now with my current highly understanding manager.
So, basically I am stuck with this odd question of taking the bump up, and losing a lot of time with him now, but being able to pave a better future for the both of us, or not and look into another line of work.
Thankfully, I have so many wonderful friends who I've been able to use as a sounding board (Tony, Sergio, Polly, and Stephanie, this is why I love you guys so goddamn much!!!), I just chose to throw this vent out there in hopes of actually getting a different perspective. Thanks Mixer, for providing that, and definitely best of luck with your two little ones.

darth sardonic said...

mother,

first of all, thanks for tossing me a little prop in this blog, and let me say a few things: i hate working. since i have become a stay-home dad, having to work part-time and missing valuable time with family and friends sucks. but there are some days when i think, "god, i am glad i'm working tonight so i can take a break from the kids." i feel horrible about this. i am home all day with my kids, and still feel like a shitty dad. i think that is part and parcel of the job. i don't think you can be around your kids regularly for any length of time without doing stuff that makes you feel like a bad parent. i was raised, for the first several years anyhow, by a single mom who had to work full time, and extra whenever she could, and still wanted to try and have a social life. i got really familiar with babysitters. but you know what, i turned out alright. and my mom is someone i can talk to about anything. my stepmom (she was a stay home parent, and took care of me while dad worked from age nine until i got old enough to move out) i don't talk to at all, and really could care less what's going on with her, so there you have it. you do what you feel you need to, try to make it work for everybody, and you know what, humans are extremely resilient and bounce back incredibly well. the fact that you worry about it all is a good sign that your heart is in the right place.

talk to you again soon,

darth sardonic