Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Haves and Have Nots...

Every so often a story likes this one comes along and really makes me ponder where we are at as a society. Those of you who read this blog on a regular basis know that my two major topics of choice are Bush bashing and the issues parents face in today's odd world.
Quite frankly, I was a bit shocked to see that this whole thing made headlines in the first place. I mean, big deal, some guy put up an amusing sign in his cafe?! As far as coffeehouse news goes, I personally think that Starbucks bringing back the Eggnog Latte is much more interesting than this little tidbit (and dammit, why wasn't THAT announced on Nightline? Those things are GOOOOOOOOOD).
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051205/ap_on_re_us/kids_behaving_badly
This article I will hope can inspire discussion between those of you with children and without. There's two very opposing groups that are affected by the precedent this article is setting. Not so much in the actual wording of the gentleman's sign, but the backlash it caused.
As a retail worker, I am constantly bombarded with seeing horrible parents coming in and letting their precious little ones completely tear apart my store. I had to beg a woman to peel her nine year old off the keyboard bench for fear that she'd topple into a display, not only injuring herself, but destroying a few hundred dollars worth of product. She found my request to be a bit too much for her, and left in a huff. Dammit, people, why can't you control your children in public?! To me, it's a matter of respect to those around you, and particularly to the businesses you are patronizing. Whether it's a china shop or a dollar store, that is someone's livelyhood. Please respect that they do NOT appreciate you letting your demon spawn tear a whirlwind of destruction through their delicately maintained business. There are people around you who may not desire to have Dear Suzie crawling up onto their table at a four star restaurant and sampling their own dinner with her grubby little hands. And what kind of lesson are you teaching them with this irresponsible behavior? Ugh, other parents can make me sick sometimes, and I can see why many people without children can start to cringe when they see a miniature human walking in.
On the other hand...there are plenty of us who DO control our children, and are constantly having to face people who clearly HATE children. Look, that's fine if you don't like the concept of offspring, more power to you and please go get yourself nipped. I understand that the trials of parenthood aren't for everyone. But when certain childless people start acting like they are somehow better than us who have tossed aside the birthcontrol in favour of procreation, well, that just chaps me. The people who are clamouring for 'childfree zones' obviously don't understand the concept of family (and besides, there are childfree areas they are called Bars). It's one thing to look down your nose at a kid who is running around like a sugar high locomotive of doom, but please don't give me a withering look if my son quietly whimpered because he dropped his fork.
Ugh, it's amazing how this society chooses to polarize itself further. I am seriously waiting for Coke Vs Pepsi communes.

1 comment:

Shunka said...

Oh goodness!!! I saw this same thing yesterday when both daughters and my 2 grandsons were with me for lunch. The 3 1/2 year old was very good (when he noticed the plant in the corner behind him, he decided it was a bad thing. I traded places with him in the booth and that was that.) and so was the 16 month old. I noticed that many of the patrons were seniors and most were very impressed with both grandsons for being more mannered than most children their age. Yes, I heard them and told them "Thank you, we are working hard to make sure they know their manners." I am one that could not see why parents, that have not made any effort to teach their off-spring any manners, would wish to inflict those same said off-spring on us that do make an effort. I do know that you, Mother do teach your son to be courteous as I did my own. Unfortunately, us, that do work at it with our children seem to get the blame for those that do not. I wish that those that do not want or like children would go to a place that they will not encounter children; as you said, there are plenty of those places. Meanwhile, if they do happen to encounter one of us parents that do make the effort, it would be nice for them to let us know that they do appreciate the effort we have spent. I, for one make sure that I give a "pat on the back" to those that I come across!!!