Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Happy Dance

I got a job! Everybody dance with me now. I swear the whole job hunt was really starting to bother me. I've been interviewing quite a bit, but nothing was panning out and I was seriously getting frustrated. Nothing really makes you question yourself quite like getting no job offers. Especially when they are entry level service industry jobs.
But yesterday I got hired (on the spot) at my interview with Radio Shack. Yes, folks, mama's added a whole new level to her geekatude. I start tomorrow. And the pay has some good potential with commission and other goodies, which will make up for the few hours a week I can work. So far, first impressions of the boss man and other coworker I met seem pretty cool. They aren't pocketprotector wearing circuit nuts, they seem like normal folk, friendly even. I'm the oldest person there, apparently, but boss man swears it's only by a year. Being older than my boss, thast's an unfamiliar place for me, but one I knew I'd be facing in this new job foray. And the guy knows his stuff, and hired me for all the good reasons, which gives me a lot more confidence going in there.
See, I never felt I interviewed well. I can be a bit perky (yes folks, believe it or not, contrary to my nightmarish blogging persona, I am quite a chipper gal in real life). And well, I know myself. I wouldn't say I am cocky, but I am confident in my own abilities and experience, and in who I am. But I am of the persuasion that I am not going to give the old standard interview of spewing out what someone wants to hear, but I will give you the answers that really are me. I don't want to get hired simply because I am able to smarm my way through an interview, even though I could with my past sales experience. If you are hiring me, you better be hiring me for ME, and not a pretty veneer I can slap on. So anyways, rather than looking at my past lack of relative experience as a hinderance, this kid actuall saw the positives in it. My art background does imply creativity. My past sales experience, regardless of field, is relavant in that I do have the ability to comfortably push product. Sales is something I've always been good at, and I don't think that's something you can really learn you just have to have that in you.
Anyways...I am excited. With just that whole interview I can feel things clicking into place, which is a good thing. With all the chaos and drama that has been my life for the past few months, I can finally really throw myself into something good. And there's nothing better than getting a small glimmer of hope during an otherwise craptastic life. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTness.

No comments: