Monday, August 31, 2009

You're studying what, exactly?

So, quite a few people have asked me what on earth it is I am planning to go to school for, and each time I answer it starts with taking a very deep breath. It's a long and complex answer, but if you stay in for the whole She-bang, it's worth it. But to tell it even once probably requires a little history.
My son was loosely diagnosed with a developmental disorder 3 years ago. Each time I've asked for a more defined answer, I keep getting the same run around. Trying to get him into behavioral therapy recently, I hit so many roadblocks I wanted to throw myself off the balcony. Calling no less than 50 different therapy/counseling offices (I'm not exaggerating, I kept a flippin' log), I couldn't find one person who could take him in.
"I'm sorry, I'm completely booked" was the most common answer.
"Until you get a better diagnosis, we can't help you" kinda the reason I need help.
Why is it so godamn hard to get help for a child? I would imagine most parents would give up after this. But I'm unemployed, so I keep on callin' until my fingers turn blue and I kill the phone battery for the ninth time in a day. The more frustrated I get, the more phone calls I make.
I kept getting letters from the unemployment office, promising to "re-educate" my sorry butt, because apparently when they saw I was a career administrator, they discovered that particular job choice is yielding no jobs at the moment. I thought and thought about what I could possibly "re-educate" myself in that wouldn't lead to another dead end career. I need something stable, that allows flexible hours for my son's needs, and enough money to live on. Something that won't kill me by drudging through a day of meaninglessness might be nice, too. And if I'm going through the trouble of studying, well, it better be something I'm interested in.
Let's see...politics? Nah, "former stripper and video game fanatic" doesn't go to well on the campaign trail (well, maybe to an exclusive 18-35 year old male nerd demographic).
Art? Again? I laugh hysterically. Why advance my education for more worthlessness. My presentations are sooooooo pretty! Annnnnnnnd that's about all I got from THAT!
Computers? hmm...well, I could, but any education in that area requires math. And boy, do I hate math. Plus, educating myself in a hobby area could undo any pleasure I take in screwing with all things with circuitry. It happened with art the first time. I had to paint the same damn bird over and over and over again in different mediums. By the time the assignment was done I hated birds, hated 5 different art mediums, and hated art in general. I still to this day curse pictures of parrots.
Marketing...well, I've worked in the field endlessly, and I'm apparently damn good at it. But, well, there's something kinda skeevy in it all. Unless I could make a fortune marketing world peace, I feel a little dirty at the end of the day knowing I can "take pride" in convincing people to spend money on shit they weren't originally wanting to.
More administration classes...blegh. Glorified secretary at the end of the tunnel? Yea...not exactly what I'd want on my gravestone...
So, it comes down to the true question that seems to be on random surveys. "If you could do anything in the world, what would you really do?"
My answer, for the last 6 years, at least, has been "teach art to special needs children".
One person asked me why once, and I talked about my fascination with the study of neuroscience, and the theory that art can have a very positive impact on multiple levels with these kids. It can be used as therapy, as an outlet, as a means of simple joys.
Why not open an art camp for those kids, then?
Heck, let's go one step further, since we're still in the "anything in the world" dream state: Create an art camp for special needs children, a resource center for their parents, while also practicing therapy for special needs children with specialization on alternate therapies and enhanced education. Work with schools to develop in-house art-therapy programs, better special education programs.
huh...I better call a counselor.
STEP 1: Get Early Childhood Education certification. This'll just be an Associates of Technical Arts (ooh sounds fancy!), but it takes less than 2 years, lesser still with my previous credits from Cal, and allows me to start immediately working with these kids. Art camp can easily begin at this point, as I'd be teaching up to third grade in the school year and bored out of my skull come summer time. Pray my placement is in special ed! Also gives me foundation for the end goal, being able to create advancements in education for these kids.
STEP 2: Now that I'm working with the very kids I want to be helping, begin studies at UW in Developmental Psychology with a specialization in Neurolinguistics. Probably will take 4 years, because I'll only be going part time due to above-mentioned occupation. But teaching younger kids does allow a generously open schedule. Grading 2nd grader homework not as bad as trying to wrap my head around a high schooler's mangled essay, times 30.
I have a dog! His name is Spike vs. Yo, 'sup Dawg, so I reads t'tis book by that dead dude and it sux so hard.
At the end of the tunnel, I'm still young enough to have a thriving practice and accomplish these goals. It's weird when I can say "I'm only 30" instead of "crap, I'm already 30". I may not be done in time to help Anthony as a young child, but I can help others like him. And by doing this now, I have the internal strength I need to continue hammering away at the task of getting him the help he needs. I could just sit here feeling sorry for myself and him because help is so hard to find. But instead I will stand up and demand that help, and then make myself into better help for the next kid that this happens to. Give me my "save the world" cape, I got work to do!!!

No comments: